Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Halloween


I think Halloween turned out pretty darn good this year! I usually buy the costumes but this year I was actually feeling somewhat crafty. I did a lot of sewing (and hot glue-ing) and came up with some pretty cute costumes. Marley was a cowgirl, she is still in LOVE with horses. And Ethan was Mickey Mouse - his very favorite show right now is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! It was a good thing my mom was here the week before - she helped put on some of the finishing touches plus the Mickey ears, I don't think I could have pulled those off by myself.

There was quite a few Halloween activities. Marley's school had a Halloween parade and we went and watched the kids tour the school in their costumes. We got up that morning and put on her costume for school - and her pants ripped. I guess that's why you need to follow a pattern. I stitched them up and sent her on her way. I was having some pretty severe anxiety that they would rip again, this time at school, so I brought her a change of pants for after the parade. She looked so cute!

The Trunk or Treat was super fun and delicious. I dressed them both up - plus myself in my glorious 80s outfit. Some day they are going to either think I was a pretty cool mom ... or a total dork. I am betting on the latter. Oh well. Unfortunately, Marley's pants ripped again and this time they were totally unfixable. I ran home and got her some jeans - she still looked like a pretty awesome cowgirl.

Trick or treating started off as a pretty rough night. It was POURING rain ... but they MUST HAVE the candy so what can you do, right? You can't just skip trick or treating because of a little rain. So off we went ... Scott drove us to some doors with the car and we jumped out with umbrella in hand. Ethan needed a hat, his Mickey ears weren't cutting it - so he morphed for the night into Cowboy Mickey, complete with cowboy hat instead of ears. It was pretty hilarious actually. The rain finally let up and we walked the rest of the neighborhood, got a pretty good haul of the sweet stuff. I think their favorite part though was coming home and handing out candy to the other trick or treaters. It was so cute to hear them open the door and hand out the candy and say, "Happy Halloween!" Marley was having so much fun that she started donating her own candy to the cause. Ethan started to copy her and put his candy in the give-away bowl too, but then he realized that would mean all his good stuff would be gone so he took it back out.

It was a pretty awesome Halloween. I love my family and these amazing memories we are creating together!

3 comments:

MommyMert said...

Oh!!!! You are at my house!!! :)I L-O-V-E-D your kids costumes!I took Alexa trick o treating and we did about 5 houses when Rachel decided we were done. But Alexa wouldnt go home until we went to your house. It made me smile! Oh... I think you are awesome for dressing up. I bet your kids will too!

Anonymous said...

Your kids look great in the photos and you are a Winner Mom for taking them out in the pouring rain! Give yourself a hero badge!

emlizalmo said...

Your costumes pretty much blew me away! I am so impressed. And YOU...in your tights...WOOT!