Amy and I were determined to stay together like last time but we hadn't run together in quite some time so we weren't sure if we were going to be the same speed. She was pretty surprised when I told her my goal, she said she was just trying to make it in under 31, 30 would make her happy. We decided just to see how it went - we probably should have brought our mp3 players instead. I had a TON of adrenaline when the canon shot off that I took off pretty quick. I pushed myself so hard - even when it started to HAIL! We were soaked through after only 10 minutes into the race. I kept looking back at Amy, wishing that I was running WITH her but just kept pushing forward instead. Every once in a while, when I just felt like slowing down and waiting for her to catch up, I would sprint instead. I knew if I was going to make running in the hail and all the anxiety worth it then I needed to make sure I got the best time I possibly could. I made it to the last stretch and started to run as hard as I could - and I noticed the clock - it was still in the 26 minute mark. I didn't know how fast I could go and then I heard my awesome friends - Kami and Michelle scream my name! I pushed it harder ... I looked at my stopwatch and couldn't believe my eyes! In fact, I forgot to even press the stop button because I was so surprised. It said 26:59 when I pushed stop. I started to cry! Then I turned around and saw Amy running her heart out towards the finish line, she crossed and pushed her stop button. When she got to me she held up her hand so I could see her time - 27:43. We both started sobbing! And hugging. It was pretty hilarious. Who could ask for a better friend and running partner than Amy? I am so lucky to have someone who can share such a special moment with me, who understands exactly what that moment meant to me. All the hours of working so hard at the gym, all my hoping, all the anxiety - it was all worth it. I was elated. Is there a stronger word than elated? If there is than that is what I was. Official time: 26:50
Rank: 82/381, Pace: 8:39/mile
Last week I registered for my first half marathon.I might be crazy. But one thing is for certain ... I am hooked.
8 comments:
I am so, SO proud of you Melissa! I know how hard you worked leading up to it and how hard you busted it that morning! You gave me something to try and catch. Next time, I'll get you! :) Actually, I realize I probably won't. Surely your next goal will be under 26:00...and you'll do it too. You will totally do it. WOOHOO!
Thats exciting! what half are you running? Keep up the good work.
I'm SO PROUD of my beautiful, STRONG friends. You both look fabulous in those pictures...tiny legs...love you guys! :)
Is that my daughter in these pictures? Oh hey, it is you. Wow! you look so...... good. I'm so proud of you. You inspire me.
So proud of you. And by the way, you look SUPER skinny in these pictures. And I signed up for the Freedom run. Even paid my money.
Oh Melissa. I am crying for you. I love how you captured that last stretch. I totally understand what you were saying. It is an awesome feeling. You are both an inspiration to me. Thank you for helping me want to stick to my goals. I love the pics of you 2. I told Amy and I'll tell you--you both look super skinny. I'm proud of you. Hugs.
Oh and no, you are not crazy about the half. You will do awesome. I'm excited for you. When is it?? I want to come cheer you on.
Incredible...incredible...incredible. You are amazing. What can I say?
Post a Comment