Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Worst So Far ..

One night while we were visiting the family in Park City Ethan fell back on his chair and hit his chin. It wasn't a very long gash and didn't bleed too much but it appeared to be pretty deep. The first thing we think of is that he needs stitches. So I call Scott down in Provo and have him start looking up Urgent Cares that accept our insurance while we get in the car. NONE in Park City. Dang! I know where everything is in Provo but I don't know anything about our current location! We get in the car and start heading towards Provo. Phone is dying. Scott finds out ... they're CLOSED ALREADY! I start crying. Then we start thinking if he really needs stitches (and I am terrified that the needle they put in his chin and the sanitizing will be far worse than a scar on his chin) so I am trying to talk myself into just putting a butterfly bandage on it. We call the family doctors - Scott's sister and brother-in-law, Mark and Heather. They recommend going to the ER. Darn! So it's nine o'clock at night and the next closest Urgent Care is in Salt Lake and it closes at 10pm. We turn around towards Salt Lake and Nana cruises ... and we make it with ten minutes to spare! She rushes in to make sure they are still seeing patients while I get him out of the car. Have I mentioned that he cried for about 5 minutes total and had been asleep in the car the whole time? All while I am panicking like a crazy person? Yup. We end up being the ONLY ones in the whole place and they get us right in. We walk into the patient room and the nurse asks what happened. I start blubbering like an idiot. THIS IS THE WORST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO EITHER OF MY CHILDREN! They put him on a little table (Nana takes a picture for posterity) and the doctor takes a look. GOOD NEWS!! The nurse says, "It's a glue-er!" The nurse is a total sweetheart and starts to regale me with the awful stories of her own children and their injuries. I start to feel a whole lot better. Ethan is holding his little puppy and the nurse has him hold it over his eyes! (He left it there the whole time ... so cute!!) They clean it up and apply the miracle super glue to his chin. All done. No crying (from Ethan). In and out in less than 10 minutes, 15 tops. If this is the worst thing that has happened to either of my kids so far ... then I sincerely feel pretty dang lucky! **Knock on wood.**

6 comments:

Jillian said...

You are pretty lucky! Hale boys have a tendency to be kinda crazy so I'm a little worried about what I have coming my way. :)

The ice cream picture of Ethan is hilarious!

MommyMert said...

I love the super glue stuff they use now... Glad everything is ok. Seems like, stuff like this is harder on Moms than the kids.

Kristin said...

it's hard being mommy!!! Ethan sure is a cutie. Bless his little heart--and his mommy's too.

Unknown said...

Uuuugh! I am SO sorry. :(

Unknown said...

That was Amy.

Sharene said...

It is definitely harder on the mom! I know. I just went through something similar with Brielle, but she did have to have stitches and I was at the ER for like 5 hours. She was playing and great the whole time and meanwhile I'm getting a migraine because I'm so stressed about it all! I'm so glad he is okay and glue was all he needed! I hope you are okay too! It can be very traumatic for sure!