Yes, I know, he is going to die when he's 16 and sees that I took these pictures!So, My little Ethan is potty trained. It took quite a while and, just like everything else they do, was the exact opposite of how it worked for Marley. Marley just woke up one morning and decided she was ready to wear big girl panties and never had an accident after that.
Ethan, on the other hand, needed a little encouragement. So, what could we encourage (read "bribe") Ethan with? What is his 3 year old form of currency?? Yup - candy. We had a potty candy jar. Every time he went on the toilet he got a candy. The first day was a total joke. He would run to the toilet every 5 minutes and squirt a little out and then get a Starburst. Finally, I told him he had to get it all out before he got the candy. That seemed to work better. He still was having a few accidents every once in a while but we quickly took care of that - every time he had an accident MARLEY got the candy. Oh boy, that did the trick. In fact, it was working so well I was really worried that I would never be able to NOT have a candy for him. He got really stressed out when we ran out of candy. I was afraid he might not do it anymore if there wasn't any Starbursts involved. Can you imagine a 16 year old coming out of the bathroom and asking where his candy was? I think I bought a bag one more time and then we were done. Every once in a while he asks for one but he understands now that he doesn't necessarily get one EVERY time, and he seems to be just fine without them. No reverting. Whew.
Now he is accident-free and even dry in the morning. I take him to the gym every day so he still is wearing pull-ups for just in case but hasn't had an accident in over a week. In fact, the last accident he had wasn't even when I was around - he was with Grandpa Austin! HA! It is now officially known as the "Poop Disaster Day".
2 comments:
Yeah Ethan!! That is so awesome. BTW, he was soooo cute in primary yesterday. He was singing and doing actions. He is growing up so fast!
Hilarious...I'm picturing 16-year-old Ethan searching for his Starburst. Good job, Ethan! No more diapers in your house now...can't wait for that day to come.
Post a Comment