Friday, April 16, 2010

Day #1 ...

So far so good. We dropped Scott off at the airport this morning for his trip to China.
I have to admit, although I am stressed and nervous about Scott being away for so long, I am still pretty jealous that he gets to go somewhere so cool. I am really hoping next time I get to go with him. But for now, it's just me and the kids.

When we dropped Scott off at the airport and started to drive away, I actually managed to keep a happy face. That is until I looked back at Marley. She said, "Mommy, remember that one time that daddy had to go somewhere and you cried?" I remembered that I didn't put on such a happy face the last time he went out of town, so I said, "Sure, honey, I remember." Her lip started to tremble and said, "Well, that's how I feel right now!" And she put her face in her hands and started to sob. Oh, my poor baby! I reached back and held her hand and told her it was ok to cry and miss daddy. But then I reminded her that we would see him soon and we were going to try to have lots of fun while he was away to take our minds off missing him.

And so we did ... we went to the zoo. We walked around and saw all the animals, rode the carousel and the train, ate lunch and had a great day. We managed to keep ourselves busy the rest of the day.

This evening, after the gym, after dinner, baths and bedtime stories, it was time to say our bedtime prayers. Time seems to slow down at those moments, have you noticed? Your mind is always turned to the important things - and tonight it was turned to daddy. Marley started to tear up again when she asked Heavenly Father to bless daddy to be safe while he was away.

These are the moments in life that I feel so blessed to have the gospel in my life. I know we can pray to Heavenly Father and ask for blessings, and I can teach my children how to ask for those blessings as well. As a child, the first thing they would think of is to just ask Heavenly Father to bring their daddy home. And as a parent, we teach our children to ask Heavenly Father to help us be happy while he is away. I am so thankful for this moment tonight. It helped me realize all the things I ask Heavenly Father for ... how many must seem silly to Him? I hope I will always grow to find the right way to ask.

And right now, I have all the blessings I need ...

5 comments:

Jillian said...

I'm glad the first day went well. Let me know if you need anything!

MommyMert said...

Its amazing how much I learned about myself while Tim used to go on trips. I found I was a lot stronger than I thought I was, and I learned to rely on the Lord a lot more. You are awesome! :) You will do great. Hopefully your hubby will bring you something amazing back.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
emlizalmo said...

This is so great, Melissa. What sweet kids you have. Hope Scott is safe and sound in Hong Kong. :)

Kristin said...

I love those sleeping pictures. Some of my favorites.

Hugs--hope the days go quick.