I called the ENT after 4 weeks to make an appointment. The soonest they had available was 5 weeks away! Luckily, they called just two weeks later with a cancellation and got me in that week. The doctor listened to his symptoms and gave him a quick once-over and exclaimed that his tonsils should definitely be removed. I wasnt't really expecting such a quick and emphatic suggestion of surgery and I was a little taken aback. I scheduled the surgery and was informed that the recovery time is at least seven to ten days, if not twelve. My sister Kattie's little boy has the same problem and his doctor gave him a prescription of steroid nasal spray to try first and I was surprised the doctor didn't even suggest it. When I went home and discussed the situation with Scott we came to the conclusion that we would rather try the $30 option first before jumping right into the $2000 option. Well, I called the doctor back, got a prescription and crossed our fingers. Nothing - no change! So ... surgery it is! He is scheduled for a tonsillectomy on August 5th. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty rough but it's a good thing he loves popsicles and ice cream. Just keep Ethan (and me!) in your prayers, we are going to need it!
Friday, July 23, 2010
Ethan's Tonsil Woes
I called the ENT after 4 weeks to make an appointment. The soonest they had available was 5 weeks away! Luckily, they called just two weeks later with a cancellation and got me in that week. The doctor listened to his symptoms and gave him a quick once-over and exclaimed that his tonsils should definitely be removed. I wasnt't really expecting such a quick and emphatic suggestion of surgery and I was a little taken aback. I scheduled the surgery and was informed that the recovery time is at least seven to ten days, if not twelve. My sister Kattie's little boy has the same problem and his doctor gave him a prescription of steroid nasal spray to try first and I was surprised the doctor didn't even suggest it. When I went home and discussed the situation with Scott we came to the conclusion that we would rather try the $30 option first before jumping right into the $2000 option. Well, I called the doctor back, got a prescription and crossed our fingers. Nothing - no change! So ... surgery it is! He is scheduled for a tonsillectomy on August 5th. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty rough but it's a good thing he loves popsicles and ice cream. Just keep Ethan (and me!) in your prayers, we are going to need it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am so sorry the stuff didnt work. Hopefully this will fix everything. You are definitely in our prayers. We love you guys.
I'm so sorry to hear that. My son had the same thing done back in 2008. He had just turned 4. His tonsils were enlarged by 60%. The nasal spray did not work for him either. He recovered pretty quickly. The younger they are the sooner they recover. Good Luck. I know you do not know us, but you are in our prayers.
Who is your ENT??? Just curious. Hope everything goes good.
Welcome back to blogging. I missed you. Poor boy. He's too young to have his tonsils out!
Oh boy. Fingers crossed and prayers. He'll be a much happier boy once this is all through, I bet. He couldn't be any more handsome though.
Post a Comment