And me ... I FINISHED! I ran the whole race, I did not stop. It even felt really really great. My time? 2:17:25. It wasn't what my original goal would have been but I felt dang good about it. And now I have a new goal ... my next race I am going to be ready and I will SMASH this time!
Thursday, August 12, 2010
My first HALF
I ran my first HALF MARATHON last Saturday.
I decided several months ago that I needed a big goal to be looking forward to and I set my sights on the Provo River Half Marathon. I heard it was a good first one to try - mostly downhill and beautiful. My superhero marathon running friend Kami totally thought I could do it - so I sent in $35 and started doing some coercing and training. I convinced my running buddy, Amy, that she needed to do it too. So, Amy and I ran our little hearts out for a month or two. The first time we completed a ten mile run we were ecstatic - and I think a little suprised at ourselves. We were having LOTS of fun! Unfortunately, I had some setbacks with some injuries and we weren't able to run together anymore. It was very sad - I wasn't sure if I was going to do the race or not. In fact, I kept going back and forth, back and forth. Thank goodness for Tara! She kept Amy going and they both gave me motivation! I finally decided I might as well go and run the race - I paid the $35, right? Even if I had to walk the last half I could still finish, right? RIGHT!
Amy and Tara finished in 1:56 ... AMAZING! 
And me ... I FINISHED! I ran the whole race, I did not stop. It even felt really really great. My time? 2:17:25. It wasn't what my original goal would have been but I felt dang good about it. And now I have a new goal ... my next race I am going to be ready and I will SMASH this time!
And me ... I FINISHED! I ran the whole race, I did not stop. It even felt really really great. My time? 2:17:25. It wasn't what my original goal would have been but I felt dang good about it. And now I have a new goal ... my next race I am going to be ready and I will SMASH this time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Yeah you will! I'm already wondering when our next one should be. :) Maybe after our toes heal a little. :) I have to admit, I knew you would finish, just not that fast. We were totally shocked when we passed you on that hill. You were trucking! I am really, really proud of you.
You really are incredible--all of you! A half marathon is not something I see in my future and you have my utmost respect for tackling such a huge 'mile' stone.
You are a woman of steel. I cannot believe you still ran when you were hurting. I, too, am really, really proud of you. You are freaking awesome!
You are awesome! Way to go Melissa!
Melissa you are quite the woman. I love you more than you know.
Oh Melissa--my heart is bursting for you. I am so HAPPY you did it. Your strength is incredible. Your determination is amazing. Thanks for your example. You did awesome Melissa. Awesome. I can't wait to hear about your next one.
This time around i got to see the pictures!! I love that top one of you. you rock.
Post a Comment