Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fun Run!

If anyone knows Marley then you know that she is a competitive little girl. Everything is a race with her - eating first, getting to the car first, buckling up first, getting ready for bed first. She makes everything a competition. Luckily, Ethan doesn't understand yet and he always thinks they BOTH win. No matter how hard we try to explain that it is NOT a race, she still manages to turn it into one. So you can imagine I got a little worried about her before her school's FUN Run - a fundraiser. They were supposed to collect pledges for a two mile run. She had called her grandparents and got some pledges and even went down to Scott's work and asked for pledges, it was really cute.

Marley was really nervous the night before the big race ... she asked, "But what if I don't win?" We tried to explain that the reason it was called a FUN Run is because you are supposed to just have a good time. She said she understood but I was still a little worried that she might freak out if she didn't do well.

Well, it turned out I had nothing at all to worry about! She had an AWESOME time! In fact, she was having so much fun she didn't even notice that she was almost completely dead last. At first, I was a little annoyed that she wasn't even trying to run, that she was lollygagging the whole way. At one point I even saw her sit down and look at some flowers or bugs or something. But then I realized ... she was doing exactly what she should have been doing. She was having FUN! She walked the whole two miles with her cute friend and they smiled the whole way. That's a WIN in my book.



2 comments:

MommyMert said...

She is a doll! She looks so happy in that last picture. i heart her.

Kristin said...

heehee-yes, she is a competitor. I am so glad she had FUN!! I love the image of her stopping to look at something on the way.

I also love the fun run. And it's awesome because they all get the cool treat at the end.