Friday, September 5, 2008

Growing a garden with your 2 year old ...

Gardening ... I'm not saying it's impossible, there surely are some people out there who manage it quite well, all I'm saying it's just not possible ... for me. Or to be more specific - me ... and a 2 year old.

Last year our little gardening experiment did quite well. I was proud of it. All these years I thought I just had a black thumb, just like my mother and house plants. I planted roses in my backyard in Arizona once, they just turned brown and died. But I realized that was Arizona; not much grows in Arizona. So I gave it another try in Florida - my little flower garden in the front yard. The flowers literally drowned because the water table was like 2 inches deep. So, one more try in Utah. A happy medium! My tomatoe plants flourished and I made all kinds of salsa last summer. What fun!

So, what is the difference this year? We've had enough tomatoes for one puny little salad. We keep asking ourselves what the problem could be? The answer ... Ethan.
I walked outside this morning to check things out and this is what I see. There are more tomatoes on the ground than there are on the bushes!

I caught Ethan a couple of weeks ago picking the tomatoes and strawberries. I told him, "no, no!" Then I caught him picking them again, same thing. Finally I took him around to each and every tomatoes bush and strawberry plant and told him, "this is no, no, no!" He started pointing at them and saying it too. Problem solved? Ya, right. A couple of days later he brings me a nice pink tomatoe, points at it and says, "no, no, no!" Obviously he didn't get the point. I don't know if he imagines himself to be a little gardener or is just super naughty.
So now there are probably 50 tomatoes littering my backyard of varying shapes and colors. And varying degrees of smooshed. You see, he also likes to step on them. And squish them between his toes.

And what of my herb garden you ask? Well, see for yourself ... I found a shovel in it. Need I say any more?
And Marley, honestly, isn't much better. Between her and Ethan there are more Otter Pop wrappers in the ground than tomatoes! I pick up a handful and there are 2 handfuls the very next day. I honestly don't even remember buying that many to begin with! But, on the other hand, she is so sweet I can hardly complain. She brought me a handful of beautiful flowers the other day. So thoughtful ... except that she de-flowered my African Daisies!
But I will not give up! Oh, no - next year we will try again. Next time ... electric fence around the produce??

3 comments:

Rachel said...

My two cents is that Ethan wants to be a fabulous gardener just like his mommy...how funny (not for you, though, I'm sure) that tomatoes are "no, no, nos." One day he may become quite the little botanist! I'm just jealous you were able to grow anything at all...I have yet to start anything.

emlizalmo said...

Man, this makes me laugh! They are so sweet...SO sweet. I remember my kids bringing me just the heads off our tulips...I wanted to scream, then cry from their sweetness. He'll totally get it better next year, I'm thinking.

MommyMert said...

hehehehe... Maybe you can think he is absorbing the nutrients of the tomatoes through his toes? Next year is salsa year I am sure.