Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy Birthday to ME!

I think I had one of the best birthays ever! It almost seemed like a week long event! The only drawback was that the kids were sick all week long - coughing and coughing. It was so draining. I CAN NOT sleep when I hear my kids coughing all night long. We would give them cough syrup before bed and they would fall asleep but keep hacking and hacking. I finally had to put some earplugs in so I could get some sleep! Is that being a bad mom????

I started off the week with an afternoon skiing with some of my favorite ladies! Scott's aunts - Eris and Mary - let me join them in their annual ski day. Alta has free skiing after 3 during the week, bonus! I was pretty nervous at first (it's been 7 years!) but they assured me it was like riding a bike. I made sure they knew right off that if I was too slow they were very welcome to go on ahead and leave me behind. But they were patient with me the first run and I got right back on that bike. It felt fantastic!
We have a great birthday tradition ... the birthday person gets woken up with a "happy birthday song" and a present. It happens again for breakfast and lunch and then a birthday dinner. This year was a bit of a change. Actually, it was kind of funny. Want to hear about it? OK - first off - my birthday was on Wednesday but we decided to pretend it was on Thursday. Why? Well, Scott decided he would rather go to a Jazz game that night. Ya, I know.
OK, fine, the real story - Scott's two bosses called him up and asked him to join them for dinner and the Jazz game. Well, of course he said no! It was my birthday after all. I couldn't let him pass that up so I insisted he go. There - you see - he's a sweet guy after all.
The Morning Present
I get a medium sized box, opened it up and found ... 10 pairs of sunglasses! WHAT?? I looked at Scott and he says, "You know, cuz you are always losing your glasses or the kids are breaking them and you think you need to buy a new pair every month! Now you have lots to choose from!" So, I know Scott. He found a good deal on the internet. I figure that he found a clearance sale on sunglasses and they just sent him a whole box of them. Now, let me ask you this, if you found a clearance sale on sunglasses, wouldn't you assume that they would be sending you the ones that people already passed over? Ya, me too. Scott swears that I will be able to find at least a few in the box that are worth wearing ... what do you think?

The Breakfast Present
I got these cute earrings! Remember Scott went to Disneyland a couple of weeks ago? Well, he remembered I liked these earrings from before so he bought me a pair with my birthstone, how sweet! Another way to look at it is ... "Hey honey, remember when I went to DISNEYLAND a couple of weeks ago (WITHOUT YOU)?? Well, I brought you back some earrings!" It's like one of those T-shirts - "my husband went to Disneyland and all I got were these lousy earrings".
The Lunch Present
Scott is for sure getting better at understanding the whole - morning, breakfast, lunch, dinner - present thing. Last year I was trying to explain that they should be little things like a candy bar or a jar of nail polish. So last year my lunch present wasn't just A candy bar - it was a CASE of Hershey Milk Chocolate candy bars from COSTCO. A whole 24 pack. (I gained like 10 pounds.) So this year he realized the mistake and got me only one. It was king size, but at least I won't gain 10 pounds! :)
For dinner we went to one of my favorite places - Chili's! Mmmmm ... chips and salsa and fajitas!
Instead of birthday cake - BROWNIES!Friday Night - Girl's Night Out
I have some of the most fabulous friends anyone could ever hope for! They gave me a gift I really wanted ... a Girl's Night Out! It was kind of a last minute idea and we for sure didn't get a hold of everyone we wanted to but I can say this ... these girls are some of the coolest, sweetest and funniest girls I have ever known. We had super yummy Thai food and then went to a movie. The movie got over around 9:15, we got in the car and just knew we couldn't just go home yet. So we headed to Mimi's for dessert!Mmmm .... chocolate cake, apple crisp, bread pudding and those "balls of heaven" beignets! Thank you Kami, Amy, Brenda and Rachel!!!!! I can't remember the last time I had such a good belly laugh. It was fantastic! And even though we ate TONS of calories we probably burned them all off with all the laughing.My birthday was capped off with the perfect gift! NEW SHOES! Partly as a celebration of me losing 40 pounds (YES!!!) and the fact that my shoes are over 2 years old! Scott and I went to a new running store and they did a "gait analysis" and suggested the best running shoes for my running style. I got these super duper fancy shoes!!! Now, I know that I have been poking a bit of fun at Scott ... but I couldn't have asked for a more thoughtful gift or a more loving and fabulous husband. Seriously, I love them! I can't wait to wear them Monday morning!

7 comments:

Kami Schultz said...

Love the new shoes! ASICs are my favorite. Can't wait until I can actually run with you! :) Happy, happy birthday!!!

MommyMert said...

Glad you had a wonderful day. Happy Birthday.

Rachel said...

I'm still burning calories from laughing so much...that was absolutely fabulous and I'm SO glad YOU were born so we could do it together. :) Happy Birthday!!! I LOVE, LOVE the shoes, by the way, and I'm not even a runner.

emlizalmo said...

Happy Birthday my dear friend!

Jillian said...

Happy Birthday again! So sorry I missed the night out ... next time for sure!

AprilA said...

That present tradition sounds so fun!! Makes the whole day special!
Happy Birthday (again!)

Kristin said...

that birthday present tradition is so cool. And honestly Scott is awesome. The 10 choices of sunglasses--he's hilarious. They all look great on you.

Fun girls night out. That is an amazing group of women. You included of course.

Sweet running shoes too. How'd they feel?

Happy birthday again, Melissa. You are fantastic.