Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day

It's finally to feel like Christmas. The snow came down pretty hard the other day, leaving enough to go outside and play for the first time of the season.
I grew up in Arizona. When I was little, going to the snow was a huge ordeal - full of anticipation and excitement. We only did it MAYBE a couple of times a year, if we were lucky. We would load up into the car and drive several hours before we could even FIND snow. The snow pants, mittens and thick jackets were usually borrowed. We would dress all up, so excited to see that white stuff! I remember some of those times so clearly ... piling out of the car all decked out in our snow gear and playing on the hills till we were frozen and exhausted from going up and down with our tubes. Living in Utah has given me such a different perspective. I don't know if it's because I'm the mom now or because I have just gotten used to it ... but snow doesn't quite hold the same charm for me as it did when I was, say 10. It takes us a half an hour to get all dressed up to go play in the snow. Then someone needs to go to the bathroom. Then they play for an hour, have a great time. But then it's time to come in, Marley throws a snowball at Ethan's face, and there is a pile of wet stuff on my floor by the backdoor. Marley sneaks one last snowball which goes through the door and lands on the couch. Where did all the thrill go? No, it's not new and exciting to me anymore ... but you know what? It still is to my kids. And when I hear them laughing and playing, ah! the excitement returns. Through my snow angels.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I love this post...I was just thinking the other day - watching the snow - about how much I hate snow now. I used to love it until I went to college...I need to remember how much fun it was as a kid so I can help my kids enjoy it. And your "snow angels" are just adorable!!!

Brown Ohana said...

Its been a long time since we've seen pictures of your beautiful babies! My how the time flies!! They are truly adorable!