Birthday Traditions
We have a really cool birthday tradition handed down from my parents and grandparents. The very first thing in the morning - the birthday person gets to wake up to a birthday song and a birthday present. Then they get another one at breakfast and lunch. Then all the rest after dinner. It makes them feel so special all day long!
This is the breakfast present. (We started the pictures at breakfast since no one would really want to see us before that anyways!) Ethan still hadn't quite grasped the concept of presents yet so he wasn't too happy about putting his yogurt down. I started opening it up for him and he realized another toy was inside like the other one and he relinquished the spoon.
This is the breakfast present. (We started the pictures at breakfast since no one would really want to see us before that anyways!) Ethan still hadn't quite grasped the concept of presents yet so he wasn't too happy about putting his yogurt down. I started opening it up for him and he realized another toy was inside like the other one and he relinquished the spoon. Birthday Cake
My mom is an expert cake maker. It was always a great treat for us to pick out the cake we wanted and my mom could make it for us. I always associate good mothering to cake decorating. So each year I try to make my children a cake, decorated myself. I gave myself a break for Marley's last birthday but I tried again for Ethan's. It turned out pretty good. The highest praise I could get was from Scott - he accused me of having Brenda come over to help me make it!Birthday Presents


Ethan really cleaned up on presents this year. It's funny how I always seem to go shopping for presents and never seem like I got enough. But when they are sitting there opening them up, plus the ones from family and friends, I usually realize I probably went a little overboard. Oh well, it was good for Ethan this year. He hardly has any boy toys still so he really needed the cars and stuff - you know, manly boy toys. And he caught on quite quickly to how to get the toy out of the wrapping paper.
And of course Marley and Kendrick were such good helpers! ;) (I don't know if you can tell but Marley has decided on a new vocation - she's no longer interested in being a beautician, she is changing to plumbing. Let's just say skinny jeans are not for everyone.)He really like every single thing he got this year. He has already played with everything. He loves the cars from Tricia and the train set from the Clegg's. He LOVED the basketball hoop from Nana, and wierdly enough knew exactly what to do - he picked up the basketball and tossed it up to the hoop. Here are some other highlights:
Grandpa Austin gave him a gi-normous dog. He absolutely loves the cuddly thing. I don't really know where we're going to keep it but he loves it!
And a new trike from mom and dad! (We were feeling sorry for him riding around on Marley's Dora trike all summer!)
The funniest gift was from Aunt Heather. It is a really cool dinosaur. He opened up the box and jumped back with a terrified look on his face. I think he thought it was real.GOOD DAY
Ethan had such a great birthday today. I know he probably won't remember it but it feels good to know I gave him a day all to himself so he could feel special all day long. I'm so grateful to my parents for giving that to me, I have such a wonderful family. I am also so grateful to such special friends, the Clegg's, who help us feel like we have a big family here, they help us celebrate all our special occasions. But mostly tonight I am so grateful to have such a beautiful little boy - whose laugh can always make me crack up, whose little love pats on my face make me get all warm and fuzzy inside and whose kisses are so sweet they make me want to cry. I hope he felt special today ... because he is, each and every day.
7 comments:
Wow! I hope Ethan felt special. I just hate missing out on the fun of the birthday's. The video of him with you singing is so funny. And the cake! you really did a good job on it.
TELL ETHAN HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM THE PETERSON'S! IM SURE HE DOESNT KNOW WHO WE ARE BUT TELL HIM ANYWAY!!! IT LOOKS LIKE HE HAD A WAY FUN BIRTHDAY! YOUR FAMILY TRADITIONS ARE GREAT! I'M SURE IT MAKES THEM FEEL NUMBER ONE ON THEIR BIRTHDAY!! SPOIL THEM WHILE YOU CAN THEY GROW SO FAST ITS CRAZY IM IN TOTAL SHOCK THAT JETT IS GOING TO BE 12 IN MAY! THEN HEADING TO JR. HIGH NEXT YEAR! IT JUST BLOWS ME AWAY HOW FAST TIME HAS GONE BY! IT SOMETIMES MAKE ME JUST WANT TO STOP AND CRY! I WANT THEM TO STAY MY LITTLE BABIES! :(
so sweet! And how fast they grow! It goes by all too fast! Its funny that picture...first thing I noticed was her plumber crack! hilarious! I think we were talking about that at the duck pond.
Looks like the whole day was just great. I love that kid. GREAT cake Melissa...you never cease to amaze me.
Okay, your cake was AMAZING! Every time I turn around I am learning something cool about you. Also that tradition is so great. I just might copy it.
Oh and yeah, kind of funny we have the same quote. My sister in law sent me a bunch of President Hinckley quotes right after he passed away in an email and that one was probably my favorite. Good stuff it is.
I also loved that last paragraph. You are such a great mommy, Melissa. I just am so glad i have gotten to know you. you make me happy.
Wow that cake is incredible! Someday I hope to be able to make cakes like that!!
Post a Comment