Monday, October 13, 2008

My Big Fat Zucchini

Well, as most of you know, we tried our hands at gardening again this year. The only thing that really flourished however was the zucchini. I don't really know a ton of recipes that call for zucchini and it isn't one of favorite veggies. So when the weatherman reminded us that it was going to freeze this weekend and we should bring in what was left of our gardens I remembered ... I hadn't checked on the zucchini for like 3 weeks!
The biggest one was about half as tall as Marley!
Well, I already made chocolate zucchini bread a couple of times this year and froze some shredded zucchini, what's left? I guess some more zucchini bread! I made two batches again today and froze it since it freezes really well. I didn't even shred the big one, one of the smaller ones made 12 cups. Oops!

I actually feel kinda bad that I am letting most of it go to waste. It's seems like such a ... um ... waste. Especially after all the canning I have done this year too, I have prided myself on taking advantage of free fruits and vegetables. My father-in-law has a huge garden and has supplied me with most of my free produce and my friend Amy has a friend with an apple orchard.

As a matter of fact, I hope you all don't mind if I take this opportunity to brag a bit ...
This year I canned: 32 quarts of grape juice, 9 half pints of grape jelly, 20 half pints of blackberry jam, about 10 pints of apricot jam, 1 batch of raspberry/strawberry freezer jam, 24 quart bags of corn (freezer), about 20 quart bags of green beans (freezer), 10 quarts of salsa, 6 quarts of apple pie filling, 6 pints of apple butter, 5 batches of dried apples. Also 15 quarts of apple sauce (split three ways between me, Brenda and Amy). The apples were amazing delicious and, best of all, free. But the apple sauce was a pain in the neck, we didn't have the right equipment. But it was still fun to try something new and sharing the time with friends helped the work go by faster.
The only downside - we don't really have the storage room for it! Scott has some big ideas for shelving in our water heater closet so keep your eyes open for a future post about that one! Maybe ... "All About Closets and Fruits". hee-hee. Get it?

8 comments:

Jillian said...

Way to go with all of the canning! It sounds like you've been one busy girl. And that huge zucchini is amazing!

Kristin said...

Okay, you are my hero! That is awesome. And holy huge zucchini. WOW!!

MommyMert said...

You should brag! Thats awesome! I am anxious to learn to can next year.

emlizalmo said...

That zucchini is outrageous! I am so proud of you and all your canning. Can I tell you just how much I am in love with the apple butter? LOVE. Dave's dad had about 5 bowls of oatmeal in his 2 days here...and each bowl had about three scoops of that brown heaven! :)

Michelle said...

LOL, you are funny. I get it. And way to go with the canning. You are homemaker of the year! (a coveted award.)

Sharene said...

You are awesome. Canning scares the crap out of me, so way to go!!

andrea said...

Well You have certainly outdone any of my homemaking attempts in the canning dept. and the gardening as well. Holly Cow that zucchini is scarry. I hope Marley dosen't have bad dreams about the attack of the giant zucchini. And funny one about the closet and fruit. You are truly amazing! You cook and clean house with the jokes. Get it?

coconutmama said...

hey brag away...you totally deserve it! You worked hard woman. Wow! Great job!