Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fall is Pumpkin Time

Fall has fallen! One great reason I love Utah ... there are 4 seasons. Unlike Arizona where I grew up, I now experience a full range of seasons - they are each distinct and lovely in their own ways, and last longer than just one day. Fall is one of my favorites. I love to see the leaves changing colors. In AZ, the leaves were "greenish" brown ... then dead. Not a lot of in between times. Grandpa Austin has a big beautiful walnut tree in his yard that is changing to a beautiful yellow, almost flourescent. The kids decided to help the leaves fall. Fall also means it's time to head to grandpa's for some punkins! He grows some giant ones just for us, aren't they great?
Ethan picked his and then staked it out. Poor guy, he has't been feeling very well, hence the scowl. Grandpa helped him feel better with a cookie! Marley's favorite thing about picking pumpkins is taking them back to the car. She loves the tractor. She even helps her grandpa mow the lawn in the summertime. Ethan has never liked it. I say not "liked" it, but it was more like "screamed bloody murder when he saw it". Lo and behold a miracle has occured! Ethan decided that he would give the tractor a chance. He got on and pretended to drive and then even opted for a ride!As long as I went along of course.What do you think? When people go by our house they will either say ... "how fun, look at all those pumpkins!" or "whoa, that's a lot of pumpkins, how wierd". I don't mind either way, I think it's exciting for the kids. Obviously I would rather it be the first ... unless of course the people saying it is a car full of teenagers on Halloween night!

4 comments:

SANDY said...

HOW FUN I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO GROW MY OWN PUMPKINS!! BUT JEFF SAYS WE HAVE NO ROOM THEY WOULD BE GROWING ON TO OUR GRASS! MAYBE SOME DAY :(! ITS SO COOL SCOTTS DAD GROWS THEM AND LETS THE KIDS COME PICK ONE! TOO FUN!!

Michelle said...

Your house looks so festive! I'll have to walk by and take a looksy! I LOVE fall. To me, fall is WAY too short. It starts snowing so early! Bummer.

Kristin said...

Holy pumpkins--it looks awesome. Do you cook with them? What a sweey grandpa he is. Way to go cute Ethan. Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

coconutmama said...

How fun. I think its cute...what a fun thing to have a grandpa with a pumpkin/apple farm! Looks like a lot of fun!