Saturday, November 1, 2008

Tricks and Treats

We love Halloween!
This year Ethan was (fittingly) a skunk and Marley was Tinkerbell ... yes, again.
I live in a pretty cool city. Downtown Provo puts on a trick or treating event each Halloween during the afternoon. Most business down University and Center have bowls of candy to hand out to the little monsters that crowd the sidewalks.
This year we went with my friend Jamie and her kids, Morgan and Jordan (the bunny and the monkey respectively).
Marley looked for the "Blue Man" but he wasn't around this year.

Here's Marley, Morgan and Jordan sitting in a shop (picture taken through the window) listening to a scary story.

Ethan wasn't too happy ... a super bad diaper rash had him pretty cranky and hopped up on Tylenol. So he stayed in his stroller most of the time.

Lucky for him his sister was nice enough to come out with an extra piece of candy every now and then ... which he immediately gobbled up. Unfortunately he was in such a hurry, and I was a bit distracted, I think he might have eaten one or two wrappers as well. I caught him more than once with a piece, wrapper and all, all mangled up in his mouth. I don't think that is going to help his diaper rash any!

So, it was a really good day. We had lots of fun and came home with plenty of candy. Afterwards we went to grandpa Austin's house to show off the kids and then back home to hand out candy. I kinda figured we were done but then Kendrick came by and Marley talked Scott into taking her around the neighborhood with them too! Ethan and I stayed home to hand out candy. Ethan was pretty cute ... we were watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! but as soon as he would hear the doorbell he would jump up and run to the door and open it up, get a candy bar and put it in each kid's bag. He was so excited, I could tell he felt like such a big boy! We ran out of candy bars so we turned off the lights and he hopped into the tub to wash out the black from his hair. Marley came home a little after that and she hopped in to wash out the glitter. Man, my tub needs a good scrubbing now!

Have you noticed how different kids eat their candy? Some kids eat theirs one piece at a time, savoring each Starburst and M&M, sometimes stretching out their stash until next Halloween rolls around. Mine would have eaten theirs all in one night if I let them. I wonder if it's just their personality or because of the way I handle things. I'm not sure ... I do know that I was just like them when I was little. I remember wanting to eat the whole pillowcase full that same night but my mom letting me pick out a few pieces and making me save the rest. Maybe it's genetic. Heaven knows ... I love my chocolate!

5 comments:

coconutmama said...

so cute. I didn't get to go downtown...tried but didn't make it out there. I did go to the haunted train ride in Lindon and Callie said you went too. How fun huh? By the way, love the new layout and family pic. Its great!

emlizalmo said...

I am so glad the day is over? Am I the meanest mom ever? It is a stressful day for me with all the people to see, candy to get. We never even made it over to your street. :( The kids were all whining that they were too tired and their buckets were too heavy?!

MommyMert said...

Okay, seriously... loving the stink eye that Ethan is making in that pic. I didnt know downtown did that. Good to know for next year.

andrea said...

Yes, It's true you would have eaten it all at once if had let you. Actually I think I did at one time tell all of you that you better eat all you can tonight becuase tomorrow I'm throwing the rest away.

Kristin said...

never done downtown . . . maybe next year.

Looks like you guys had fun. happy halloween.