Sunday, February 8, 2009

My "Outpatient" "Laparoscopic" Surgery ...

Ok, so I feel like I've told this story about a million times now so (just in case you care) I'm going to write it here so I won't feel like I have to say it ever again. I feel like I have to post this before I can actually post anything else considering it has basically been what my life is about for the last two weeks. Also for the fact that I'm on pain meds and don't know to who I've actually talked.

On Tuesday, Jan. 27th, we took the kids to grandpa Austin's house and went to Timpanogos Hospital for a scheduled 30 minute outpaitent laparoscopic surgery. I had a fibroid tumor growing off of my uterus. My doctor assured me it was quite a mundane procedure.

Honestly, the hardest part for me when I have a surgery is the IV. I hate needles, they always have to make three or four attempts to find a vein in my chubby arms. So the anesthesiologist graciously put the IV in the easiest place to get a good vein, right in the crook of my arm. It's the most uncomfortable place but since I was only going to be out for half an hour it wouldn't matter, right?

My poor husband waited for me in the waiting area for 30 minutes and went to the desk for an update - nothing. He did the same thing probably every 30 minutes until it had been 2 1/2 hours. It turned out that the fibroid had grown significantly larger than the doctor originally thought, so he skipped the laparoscopy, gave me a spinal block, called in a general surgeon and made an incision like a c-section. It was also pushing my insides out of position - like my ureter, so he called in a urologist. And it wasn't just one fibroid - it was actually lots of small and medium sized ones that had gotten all mushed together. This gave the texture of the tumor the appearance of something very not right ... like cancer. So the good doctor called in an oncologist.

I woke up with a nurse hovering over me with quite the perplexed look on her face, not the first thing you want to see when you come out of anesthesia! I realized I couldn't feel my legs and just knew I wouldn't be going home that night. When the doctor made an appearance the next morning the first thing he said was, and I quote, "That was the wierdest thing I've ever seen!" I jokingly replied ... "ever?" and I got a resounding "EVER!" Not too comforting but honest nonetheless. He explained to me what happened and held out his hands to indicate the size. Now I know I have a tendency to exaggerate when I tell stories but his hands were open to the size of an ostrich egg! I asked him to clarifiy and he assured me it was indeed the size of the egg of that gi-normous bird with huge eggs. Or a canteloupe if that's easier to imagine. He also told me had been really scared, thinking it might be cancer but assured me that the labs came back as negative.

So my outpatient surgery turned into three days in the hospital. A friend told me to try to tell myself I was at a spa where they took care of all my needs. And I tried, really I did! But by the time Friday rolled around I was so ready to be back in my own bed! Scott took the rest of the week off and stayed with the kids. Several times though he was able to come and visit me without them and just sit there and hold my hand. I am so lucky to have a friend like Brenda who we can call on to watch our kids at the last minute.

Thank goodness for my mom!!!! She dropped everything to come and take care of me, even missing my sister's baby shower! Sorry again, Kattie. I really don't know what I would have done without her. Really don't know. She not only took care of my kids but was there to pat my head and give me hugs. And I am still finding things that she cleaned. Like my blender and microwave. What a good mom!! I cried when she left but two days later my little sister, Tricia, saved the day and flew up to stay with me for the rest of the week and the whole weekend! When she left I cried too ... and so did the kids. Man, she is an awesome aunt. She even played ponies with Marley about a million times!

I have four sisters at home in Arizona but I have so many other women I call sisters who are so so so good to me. They are so kind to bring my family dinners and treats and offers to watch my kids! I really feel so blessed to live in such a caring ward. Thank you to all of my loving, caring, generous friends who took such good care of me.

The person I am most grateful for ... my husband. My house is staying relatively clean and he even does the dishes and straightens up when he gets home from work. He hasn't complained even ONCE! He gives me lots of hugs and kisses and lets me cry on his shoulder when I need to. I never ever imagined I would marrry someone who could know how to take care of me so well.

So now I am up and about - still quite uncomfortable at times and still on pain meds but I am feeling much better. Thank you again to everyone for all your get well soon wishes and prayers.

6 comments:

emlizalmo said...

SO glad that you are on the mend and that the Lortab hasn't run out yet. :) It was so good to have you at playgroup last week too. You are missed when you aren't there Melissa. I hope you know that. You are like sunshine to me...I know we will smile, I know we will laugh, I know we will have great conversation. You really do have a great husband. I think he's wonderful. :)

Kristin said...

Oh Melissa--here is another hug. It's still an amazing story. So happy though that it is hopefully all figured out and glad it wasn't any worse than it was. You are a fabulous person--I am so grateful I got to be your V. Teacher and so grateful to be able to call you friend.

MommyMert said...

Glad you are okay... still thinking and praying for you! Call me if you want me to take your munchkins.

Michelle said...

Wow, crazy story! I'm happy to have all the details, I didn't want to ask!

SANDY said...

oH MY GOSH!!! I CANT BELIEVE YOU WENT THROUGH ALL THAT IM SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOING MUCH BETTER!!

Unknown said...

Melissa: I am so glad things turned out well. It is truly a blessing to have such amazing family and friends to count on when we are in need. I'll keep you in my prayers!